Minutes for the Meeting of November 14, 2008
Karen Scott Statser
A meeting of Partners for a Healthier Community was held on Friday, November 14, 2008 in Jackson Room at Charlton Hospital in Fall River. BJ Valente called the meeting to order at 8:30 AM.
The meeting began with greetings to new and continuing members . Introductions made by all.
The minutes of the September 2008 Steering Committee were circulated in advance.
VOTED to approve the Minutes of the September 2008 meeting of Partners for a Healthier Community as circulated.
Financial Report was circulated at the meeting.
VOTED to approve Financial Report through October 9,2008
Report of Work Groups
Access to Health Care- No report today.
Healthy Lifestyles –– No report today.
Healthy City Initiative
1) Myfallriver.org- There will be a meeting on Monday the 17th at 10:00AM at United Neighbors to discuss the myfallriver.org website. A dozen organizations have already committed to contribute to the website but Healthy Cities is looking for more to contribute and be represented. Healthy Cities is also seeking to generate money through advertisements on the website. The Beta version of the website should be available for the meeting on Monday. The content on the website is malleable and the website is designed to be very interactive. The site will be self regulated by the participants and will also have administrators. An Americorps volunteer, Vanessa Funfsinn, will spend at least one day a week reviewing website content. It will be an immediate interaction website, which will encourage individual and group ownership of the site. Listings will be tagged to make searching easier and to filter information. The website will feature a calendar, job postings, announcements, blogs, interest groups, etc. The Beta version will be out on the first of the year. Public launch will be in the first six months.
The question was asked if CHNA needed to be a participating agent in the website. The website needs to be a community website first and foremost, and while groups that fund the site will get prominent advertising and benefits, it is still a community site first and foremost.
2) Fitness Challenge-The fitness challenge planning will be January 10th from 10AM-2PM.
3) Children in Balance- A literacy program is being run in conjunction with Family Childcare Food Training. FCFT is a group that provides childcare in the city and influences hundreds of children.
4) Marilyn- There will be a patch giveaway for veterans and families. In January there will be a municipal employee patch giveaway. There will be a meeting December 5th. There will be a CAD conference that deals with drugs and tobacco. The Partners voted to subsidize Marilyn’s attendance at this conference.
There is no movement on State law to ban blunt wraps.
5) Mike Ramos- Discussed walking routes
6) New banner on Partners homepage.
The breakfast went very well. The food, event tables, other offerings were good. The speaker did a wonderful job and follow up will be necessary to keep her abreast of developments. A thank you letter will also be sent which will have a calendar of events. One issue that was brought up was the lack of attendance by legislators. Follow up phone calls could be used to encourage greater participation. The breakfast will be October 6th 2009.
Dr. Weed- the Partnership for a Heart-healthy, Stroke-free Massachusetts (www.heartstrokema.org) will be a conference at the end of January. One of the panels will focus on unnatural causes: the relationship between stress and heart disease and stroke. It will examine reductions of stress in regards to unnatural causes such as housing communities, etc.
Dr. Weed- Gun prevention initiative. This examines the question “Where do guns come from?” Fill out a flyer and mail it to Gov. Patrick. Flyers will be handed out at the next Healthy Youth Task Force meeting.
Marcia- The opiate booklet can be accessed through the partner website.
Meeting Adjourned at 10:00 am
Next Meeting – December 12, 2008 Southcoast Hospitals – Charlton Site
MEETING IN THE JACKSON CONFERENCE ROOM
Links to Minutes of Previous Meetings
Meeting of 10-10-08
Minutes of 9-12-08
Minutes of 8-08-08
minutes of 6-13-08
minutes of 5-9-08
minutes of 4-11-08
minutes of 3-14-08
minutes of 2-8-08
minutes of 1-11-08
minutes of 12-14-07
minutes of 10-12-07
minutes of 9-14-07
minutes of 8-10-07
minutes of 6-08-07
minutes of 5-11-07
minutes of 4-13-07
minutes of 3-9-07
minutes of 2-9-07
minutes of 1-12-07
minutes of 12-8-06
minutes of 11-10-06
minutes of 10-13-06
minutes of 9-8-06